Sunday, August 7, 2011

Evodia 2009 Altovinum Calatayud Garnacha

Now that I got through my backlog of wines I was too lazy to blog about, I'm finally drinking wine as I blog again!

On the bottle: who: a custom cuvee for Eric Solomon
what: 100% garnacha
when: vineyards planted up to 100 years ago
where: high altitude vineyards (2400-3000ft) in the mountainous village of Atea planted on pure slate soils
why: grenache this great usually goes for twice the price!
how: extract cork, pour in glass (optional), drink

750mL, 15% Alc. by vol., Randalls, $10.99 with Randalls card, normally $12.99

I bought this wine because it was recommended a while back on another wine blog I read, you can see that review here. I really liked the design of the label, it's a varietal I haven't tried yet, and since it wasn't too expensive I picked it up when I happened to see it at Randalls a few nights ago. It has a sharp smell and the taste of dark berries. It gives me the sticky mouth initially, but that goes away almost immediately after the wine has left my mouth. It's a very dark plum red in color, possibly the darkest wine I've reviewed so far. I like it, but I don't love it. I had a glass last night, and tonight I like it a little better. This feels like a wine I can grow to like better as I refine my wine palate, but perhaps I am too green for this wine right now. I would buy this wine again to bring to a party with other people who appreciate wine, and like dry reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment