Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Casa Lapostolle 2007 Merlot (Cuvee Alexandre)


On the bottle: "85% Merlot; 15% Carmenère." Since the rest is just about the vineyard here are some tasting notes from their website: "Color: Inky deep red with bright violet hints. Nose: Expressive red fruit, with fresh notes of rosemary, white pepper and sweet spices. Elegant oak touches with notes of vanilla and subtle nutmeg.Palate: Pleasant attack with round and juicy tannins towards the mid palate, finishing with fresh acidity and a long and lasting sensation. Service and Food Pairing: Ready to drink now or cellar for several years. Decant and serve at 16° C to 18° C (58 to 64° F). Ideal companion for meats and elaborate dishes."


750mL, 14.1% Alc. by vol., Costco, $17.99

I can't remember the last time I drank a Merlot, and I really don't have a good reason for buying this one. I wanted to review a different varietal than any I had reviewed so far and this one had a high score from Wine Advocate or something. I didn't want to spend this much, but since it was Costco I thought I might be getting a really good deal on a great wine. The internet seems to think I didn't get a big discount, but I'm not too disappointed with this wine. It tastes like the char on a steak, and tastes better with food than alone. Dry mouth occurs briefly after each sip, but isn't too bad. I don't think I'll buy this particular wine again mainly because of price, but if I'm ever going to a fancy "steak party" I'll consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment