Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Loosen Up Dornfelder


On the bottle: What do you get when you put the world-famous winemaker, Ernst Loosen, together with skate and surfboard artists, the Froelich Brothers? You'll have to buy the bottle to find our, but here's a hint: a fruity and provocative red wine that is perfect for a night in, a night out, a meal with friends (or after they leave), a spicy pasta or just to Loosen UP.

750mL, 10.5% Alc. by vol, HEB, I lost the receipt but I think it was around $8

My first thought on trying this wine was: blackberries! It was sweet and acidic, but with a mustiness at the end that reminds me of the seeds at the end of blackberries. This wine was sweeter than I was going to be since the grape was originally cultivated to give more body to weak reds in Germany. Most reviews I have read about Dornfelder wines say they are more hearty than Pinot Noir, but this one seemed a bit more sweet and easy to drink. In the end I really enjoyed this wine and now I wanna get the Riesling by the same winemaker. The price was great, the bottle was cute, and it was tasty. I hope to buy this wine again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment