Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jean-Luc Colombo 2009 Les Abeilles


On the bottle: Hailed as the winemaking wizard of the Rhone, Jean-Luc Colombo has achieved a high-profile reputation for innovative wines that are bursting with personality. Les Abeilles, or "the bees" in French, is a virtuoso white wine blend of traditional southern Rhone white grapes. Supple, harmonious and full-bodied, with floral and fruity aromas, Compliments a wide array of hor d'oeuvres and salads, as well as fish dishes, white meats and Asian-influenced dishes.

40% Clairette, 30% Grenache Blanc, 20% Viognier, 10% Roussanne

750mL, 13% Alc. by vol, left at my house after new years, internet says about $10

This wine was interesting. It's different than most of the whites I've tasted. It has a sweetness the reminds me of honey, but at the same time there's a citrus acid bite. The acid lingers on the palate a bit, but not in a bad way. There was also a slight metallic taste to this wine as it warms up. For the $10 price, I would definitely buy this wine again and I am curious about trying other Jean-Luc Colombo wines in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not certain, but perhaps the acidity is common with Jean-Luc Colombo wines. I recently tried the Hermitage, "Croze Hermitage Rouge" I believe it was. And even as a plump medium-dry red it still had a somewhat acidic bite to it. This normally wouldn't be favorable for me, but it's not bad either. I think for the $10-30 range, Jean-Luc Colombo has some fairly nice wines.

    ReplyDelete