Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Estancia 2010 Pinot Noir


On the bottle: Our Pinnacles Ranches are near Monterey's Pacific coast where cool fog sweeps in each evening, giving way to warm, sunny days perfect for ripening world-class Pinot Noir. We employ artisan winemaking practices such as gentle pressing and small barrel aging to craft wines of exceptional character. Estancia Pinot Noir displays luscious berry flavors, spice and a rich, supple finish.

750mL, 13.5% Alc. by vol, HEB, $11

I swiped some of this wine from my roommate and her boyfriend's Valentine's Day dinner. This was a great wine, much better at room temperature than chilled. The flavor was like blackberries, but not too sweet. There was a little bit of bitterness, but nothing too off-putting. It paired well with the not so spicy fried rice I made for dinner. While this wine was good I didn't find it very spectacular, and I don't think I'd buy it.

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw "Estancia" I immediately thought of Argentina, and all my wonderful experiences with the wines from the Paso Robles region. ... ...then I realized this is "Estancia Vineyards", from Cali.

    This is my personal opinion about this wine, and I must admit that I have not tried the 2010 vintage, nor do I recall the vintage that I had ('06 or '07 maybe?). I prefer Pinot Noir when it has a medium-long finish that leaves a berry flavor on the mouth, this was a spiced and brisk finish that left a bitter (almost tart) almond flavor. I prefer Noir with a dark berry, and slight hint of flower (rose?), this gave me the thought of drinking vinegar. I think something may have been off with the bottle I drank, considering that the nose was even strange, nearly noxious.

    Either way, for $10-20, you should probably just stay clear of their wines, and the only reason I remember this wine is because it single-handedly made me swear off all wines from Monterey (almost). There are some fantastic vineyards in Sonoma that produce some very appealing Pinot Noir's, with everything that I look for, and then some (prices are comparable). If you would like to see a huge difference in Pinot Noir's from California, I recently had the pleasure of tasting Deep Sea's Pinot Noir (~$20, from their Napa Valley vineyard I believe). It will certainly spoil your senses, and the wonderful combination of aroma with the complexity in the tasting profile will keep your mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete