Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Probability 2007 Napa Valley Red Wine


Tasting notes from HEB: Looking for a deep red wine with flavors of rich ripe fruit and a dry finish? The odds you'll be satisfied with Probability are pretty good. Probability is a blend of Cabernet, Merlot and Syrah. Grapes are handpicked and aged in both French and American oak before bottling and has flavors of ripe red and black fruits such as black currant, raspberries and cherries.

750mL, 14.5% Alc. by vol., HEB, $16.98

I bought this wine mostly because it had a nerdy label. I had previously passed it up and bought the Educated Guess instead because the HEB wine guy said it was the better out of the two. He was right. There is nothing particularly bad about this wine, but for the cost I was expecting it to be better. I even had alot of trouble finding information on this wine online, HEB's website was the only place a Google search could find it, and the company that bottles it doesn't list it on their website. This wine does give a bit of the sticky mouth, but it's still relatively smooth. The flavor is good, but the smell is a bit harsh on the back of your throat. I don't think I would pay for this wine again unless it goes way down in price, but I would drink it again if someone else bought it.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that has harsh review. I think for the money it is a great wine.. Even if it was offered at $30/bottle it would be worth it. I also disagree about your comment on the label. If it weren't for Miles (Fort Worth, Tx) I would have passed on the wine, but I am glad he had my try it. I went back the next day and bought six more bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think I was too harsh? I felt more apathetic about this wine. Have you read my review of the 2003 Le Bourgogne de Louis Latour? That one is harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decent fruit on the front, though I wouldn't describe the fruit flavors as "ripe". The fruit is rather forward up front, but it's quickly squashed by overwhelming oak to the point of almost being astringent. I've tried this wine twice, now, and both times came away thinking that this is a $9 bottle of wine with an engaging label used to mark up the price.

    2007 was too good in Napa for a wine to come out so unrefined and below-average.

    I would never recommend this, nor will I ever buy it or drink it again. Give me a cookie cutter Bogle Petite Syrah or a Louis Martini Sonoma Cab every day and twice on Sunday over this wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was, without a doubt, the most disgusting wine I have ever tasted. I sipped it and spit it back in the glass. I am no wine expert, by far, but I will never in my life drink this again.

    ReplyDelete